Why You Should Frequently Move Jobs
I often get asked during interviews ‘Why do you frequently move around’ & in fact, a friend I knew from Sri Lanka’s biggest telecommunication provider said ‘You will never find a better job because you have frequently moved around’.
Why changing jobs is good?
From my experience, it has more advantages than disadvantages. Here are my learnings;
- I learned to adapt – to every cultural change in any organization, I had to adapt my culture toward it
- I became a fast learner – I’ve worked across multiple industries, & have more exposure than anyone ever before. And guess what, I can pitch this in any interview to my liking
- My salary is so much higher than people who started their careers at the same time I did.
- More network – I built my network with many CEOs and Executives I never had access to before
- Rapidly climbing designations – I moved up every time I changed my designation, which sometimes I call lucky
But, if you are not a fast learner, none of this will help you. If you can adapt & learn things faster than anyone, now that means you can easily survive the frequent destination hop.
Also, make sure every time you leave a company, the boss says ‘Find me another you before you leave’, because that’s when you really make an impact. My philosophy with a job is, ‘grow with the brand’. Then you will make an impact without knowing it.
One last piece of advice;
Learn or Earn, if either it’s fine. If neither, leave